Occasionally bugs are filed pointing out situations where perfectly legitimate words are missing from the English spell check dictionary in Firefox. This article describes the process for adding a word to the dictionary.
The process is pretty straight-forward:
- Get a clone of UXP, if you don't already have one, and make sure you can build it successfully.
- Get into the dictionary sources directory using this command:
- There's a special script used for editing dictionaries. The script only works if you have the environment variable
EDITORset to the executable of an editor program; if you don't have it set, you can do
EDITOR=vim sh edit-dictionaryto edit using vim (or you can substitute some other editor), or you can just do
sh edit-dictionaryif you have an
- Add and remove words in the dictionary file, then quit the editor.
sh merge-dictionariesto process the dictionary changes you've made.
- Move the revised dictionary file into position:
mv en-US.dic ..
- Build Firefox and test your updated dictionary.